BACK CREEK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HISTORY
Near the close of the 18th century, the Great Awakening swept the
They first met in a large barn until Presbytery granted permission to build a house of worship, provided it was at least five miles distant from the mother church; the distance was duly measured by Dr. Hall of Iredale in his famous sulky. They secured the services of their first pastor, Rev. Kilpatrick in 1807, and in 1811 a "comfortable little log house" was erected. This humble structure served until the present sanctuary was complete and dedicated in 1857. The Civil War and its aftermath saw Back Creek suffer the loss of her African-American members, nearly half the congregation, in 1869, and the entire region suffered an economic depression. Many of the church's fine members packed up their families and headed West to make a new start. The road to recovery was long and hard, but the Lord in His gracious providence has sustained and nourished the church through the ministries of able and committed men of God.
Over the years, Back Creek has belonged to five Presbyterian denominations; in 1991 we joined the Presbyterian Church of America.
In 1952 our Religious Education building was added (along with our first indoor plumbing!) and the current
manse (house where the pastor lives) was built in 1968. In 1978 a much needed restoration job was completed on our
sanctuary. In 1993 our classrooms and kitchen were expanded. In 2007 a
Though we cherish our history, our daily prayer is for new vigor and courage to face the challenges of today with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Ever changing, ever growing, we look to the future with hope. To God be the glory!